Thursday, August 20, 2009

Geezer on Geezer: Woooosh and the vintage dirtbike

A Baja dirt bike ride with Art and Emilio from Rosarito Beach to Rincon Tropical.

With all the negative you hear about Mexico in the press, it's easy to think nothing is safe, simple and beautiful in Baja any more. But while the narcos fight it out with everyone else- the rest of us go about our lives and still enjoy the beauty of Baja we moved here for. Baja Norte is very beautiful, mostly undeveloped and full of surprises. One nice and affordable surprise is Rincon Tropical-a locals hangout with swimming pool, bar, overnight cabanas, midget race cars and a petting zoo. The dirt road to Rincon winds through a canyon 8 miles inland from the beach. Once away from the coast it gets hot and dusty fast- a true Mediterranean climate. Lot's of agriculture- corn, cilantro, green onions and of course cows.

It's always great when my buddy Arturito (just Art- to you gringos) is in town for one of his visits. He's part of our family and a professional travelling house guest- we really should pitch him a reality show. He is the perfect house guest though and our 13 year old lab Duke is especially perked up by his visits- lifelong friends. CostCo must text him when we stock the fridge (we buy most all our food stateside) because he always hits us when the dinner menu is long.

g.
Art's an alpha male that motivates you. Art arrived today all hyped up after a hike in the desert with his brother- so I wasn't about to try to keep up with him on a bike. Emilio loves a bike challenge so I left the mountain bike race from the house to the Rincon Tropical to Art and my nephew Emilio.

I gassed up the 1976 Harley-Aermacchi SX250. It kicked right over- so I took that as a good sign for the day. I've restored it back to original condition- but I'm not afraid to ride it and get it dusty. (I had the exact same bike while in college in Colorado and drive it pretty much the same as I did then). It's been many months since I've ridden it and Emilio has been giving me grief about that. They left first and we all met down the canyon at Rincon Tropical. They took the single track trail that drops into Rincon Tropical- I took the winding dirt road through the canyon. We enjoyed a few Pacifico's (2 pacifico's and a soda- $4) and a swim. I headed back first- I've walked this bike home more than a few times... so I liked having a chase team behind me on bikes. :) Nice relaxing afternoon- no pedaling involved. A perfect day in Baja. Thanks Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Woooosh! The Blog

"Poor Mexico! So far from God, so close to the United States!"
(Mexican President Diaz: 1876 to 1910)

Our Baja journal and commentary: Dolphins, Narcos, Labradors, Fried Lobster, Fish Tacos, Buckets of Coronas, Beheadings, Surfing-K38, Falcons, Express-kidnappings and Family security drills... it's a 24/7 Fiesta with roving Mariachi Bands and food carts. Everything but tourists.

Even the LAST CHANCE TO EAT TACOS cart is closed.