Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Working the Flight home... a 30 year blast from the past.

Delta Connection: We didn't have as much excitement on our flight as the people on the SouthWest flight when a football sized hole opened up in the cabin roof and they could see the blue sky. Nor did our O2 masks didn't drop down- but we were packed in like sardines and in the air at the same time.

Shortly after takeoff, I got blocked in the lavatory by the Beverage Cart on one of those three-seat-across Delta Connection Embracer commuter jets (PVD-CVG). The door opens in and when I opened it- there the cart was. Right at the door. My seat was about 4 rows up, the plane was full, and there was no way to get past. You can barely stand up in those planes let alone pass someone. The flight attendant gave me a look that I understood to mean she wasn't pulling the cart back 5 rows with the plane still climbing just for me to get back to my seat. It could have been a look that said if I wanted to go back to my seat that badly- I'd have to push it uphill all by myself. We'll never know. I stepped out of the lav and said "Well, I was a flight attendant 30 years ago. How's about I work this end of cart back up to my seat." She smiled and told me to ice some glasses and pass out the peanuts. I did serve some beverages actually, but sadly the booze and precious boxed snacks were on her end of the cart. We talked and worked our way up the aisle and the passengers in the rear of the plane got a kick out of it. What airline did I work for..?.. what it was like to have a choice of three entrees in coach..?... They had smoking zones... ? When we got th ecart past my row, I politely opted out of working all the way up the aisle. I sat down and drank my bottled water, five years was fun- but enough. Alonzo was sleeping and when I sat down- he didn't even stir. It wasn't until the Flight Attendant thanked me for my help as we were deplaning that Alonzo asked what that was all about. Would have been a nice photo for the blog too.

I'll do a Flight Attendant flashback post soon. It was a very different experience back then. Did you know Lucille Ball taught me how to play backgammon in the upper lounge of a 747? She had a leather set with a solid gold doubling cube. I was the UL (Upper Lounge) flight attendant that flight (JFK-LAX) and I had her to myself for over an hour while Jaws played downstairs. Bourbon Manhattans, backgammon, fun conversation and I got to watch her put on that famous exagerated red lipstick from two feet away. That'll be a fun post to create. Could be a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Woooosh! The Blog

"Poor Mexico! So far from God, so close to the United States!"
(Mexican President Diaz: 1876 to 1910)

Our Baja journal and commentary: Dolphins, Narcos, Labradors, Fried Lobster, Fish Tacos, Buckets of Coronas, Beheadings, Surfing-K38, Falcons, Express-kidnappings and Family security drills... it's a 24/7 Fiesta with roving Mariachi Bands and food carts. Everything but tourists.

Even the LAST CHANCE TO EAT TACOS cart is closed.