Thursday, July 9, 2009

We're here in PVD, seriously jet lagged though

Alonzo and I made into Providence late last night. I had a screaming kid next to me for the last two hours on one of those tiny regional planes. I know it's hard to travel with kids- but why do they take the late night flights with them? Seems like cranky and crying are inevitable that late at night. Especially for me. Alonzo volunteered to switch seats with the mother- something about oxygen masks for the baby. After everyone deplaned I just sat and enjoyed the quiet a few moments until Alonzo came by. I got a Hertz Ford Escape with Louisiana plates. I hate getting out of state plates when I rent a car. It just make you stand out for no reason.

Driving to the hotel wasn't fun. I should have taken the Nylo shuttle. Actually I have never liked driving in CT either- RI seems the same. To this day I still can't get from one sisters house to another in under two hours. Everything is rolling hills and greenery with roads going no particular direction. I can handle MA driving and even Boston with no problem because I grew up there- it's just the rolling hills and highways that twist and turn with no visual references that mess me up. We looped around the Warwick mall a few times- made a U-eey on a rural highway and found the street and Hotel around midnight. OK- now having out of states plates doesn't seem as bad since I was driving like some retard from Louisiana anyway.

The NYLO was just as advertised. Modern, nice. Not so modern that you can't figure out how things work, but close. BTW, never pre-open the individual coffee-pods before putting it into the machine. Luckily the cement floors are easy to clean. We shared the elevator ride up with a transsexual- so we felt right at home. Not a petite woman- but she was very nice and assured us the rooms were soundproof and you can't hear anything from the next room... no, we didn't ask how she knew that.

Our clocks and bodies are three hours off. For some reason the 8 or 10 hour international time changes are easier on me. We'll skip breakfast today and jump right into lunch. The local supply of clams, oysters and Pt. Judith calamari will be severely depleted after our stay- or at least that is our culinary plan. The only problem I will have is driving from one place to another. I should have done the Hertz "never lost" navigation option this time.

So here we go... Everyone should be arriving in Providence today, little by little. The wedding rehearsal and dinner is tonight. Alonzo has all the clothes ready. He is great to travel with (although it did take over a decade to break him in).
+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Woooosh! The Blog

"Poor Mexico! So far from God, so close to the United States!"
(Mexican President Diaz: 1876 to 1910)

Our Baja journal and commentary: Dolphins, Narcos, Labradors, Fried Lobster, Fish Tacos, Buckets of Coronas, Beheadings, Surfing-K38, Falcons, Express-kidnappings and Family security drills... it's a 24/7 Fiesta with roving Mariachi Bands and food carts. Everything but tourists.

Even the LAST CHANCE TO EAT TACOS cart is closed.