Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Yona is doing great... Puka is held hostage... More local police killed.

Yona is recovering fine from her beach-dog attack. Emilio said he and Javier went back with a taser for the the owner but didn't find him or the dog. I don't know which one he would have tased- but I don't think they work on animals. Puka has been totally active and is leaving the stitches alone. She swam with me in the pool yesterday. I have to swim circles instead of laps in this small pool- but she stayed right next to me. So she is keeping it clean and we haven't had to use the "Elizabethan collar", that plastic neck cone thing. Guero got bit twice by beach dogs as a puppy and had the same type wound but a lot less stitches. Emilio must have felt bad that Yona was attacked on his watch. I came back from RI to find a freshly epoxied garage floor and the "Pool Angel" refinished.

(Left: The Puka Bloom Suffers)
Poor Juan and Puka. Bad enough Puka ate a rock and died (see archives), but now I think he's getting hosed by my vet. After the first surgery we gave Juan the vet's number so they could talk directly with each other. When she made a turn for the worse we let the two of them handle things and just offerred to care for her and do whatever we could to help on this side of the border. When we took her back to the vet for observation after the first surgery failed to get the results- Alonzo and I thought it would be considered the "after care" that was included in the surgery cost. I guess not. Now our vet wants another $800 from Juan for the second surgery too. IMHO if they had inspected her well during the first surgery they would have seen the dead bowel behind the rock further down the line. Maybe they could fix it or not- but they would have seen it. I think they just stopped exploring after finding the rock and closed her back up too soon. Their fault IMHO. When Puka died- we asked our pet cremation service to pick her up. Now they won't release Puka's cremains to Juan until he pays the second $800 too. I don't know if Juan approved the cost of the second surgery- we weren't in the loop then. Juan looks at it like the $1600 total was still less than the US vet wanted for the first surgery alone. I'm witholding judgement for now until I learn more. "Puka the flower bloom" wilted and parts of it died before blooming fully while we were in Rhode Island- so maybe Puka is reaching out to Juan again. Alonzo needs to swing by the vet today to take care of the bill for Yona- so he will see what's going on.

I have always worried about cremations- whether or not you really get back the right "ashes". When the cremains came back from our blind Oso- Guero was a puppy and knocked them off the memorial table Alonzo had set up. The Urn crashed and broke on the slate floor. A stainless steel screw rolled across the floor and I knew it was really our Oso. As a puppy he blew his knee out at the dog park and had a cadaver ligament transplanted to repair it (never play frisbee on hard ground with labs- it's not good if they jump up and come down on their back leg wrong and hyperextend it. Save the air for the dogs designed for it). Once we saw the mangled screw and we knew we had a reputable cremation service.
+
(Below: The cremains of Oso, Guero1, My Dad & Mom, and Dutch)
I feel comfort having a loved ones remains back in the house with me. I know it creeps some people out, but it helps me mourn and I feel their presence. We have a bookshelf we keep them all together on- Oso, Guero, Dad. Mom and my first lab Dutch. We take them down on birthdays and holidays- like Mothers and Fathers Day and light candles for them. The dog collars are wrapped around the dog urns with a treat placed on top. No, I don't think my Mom and Dad would at all mind being surrounded by our labs and they all have a great ocean view.


And the narco war continues on here today. Another cop was killed here yesterday and one more nearby in TJ. "El Teo" has said his cartel will kill five cops a week until the new police chief resigns. He's an over achiever and reached his goal a few days early apparently. On to next weeks body count. There are no photos of "El Teo"- even on his wanted posters- he said he will kill whoever prints it- so no one has. When the police here are hiding for their lives there is no protection for anyone or any business- especially us ex-pats. We're not in lockdown mode- but we are keeping a watchful eye on things.
+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Woooosh! The Blog

"Poor Mexico! So far from God, so close to the United States!"
(Mexican President Diaz: 1876 to 1910)

Our Baja journal and commentary: Dolphins, Narcos, Labradors, Fried Lobster, Fish Tacos, Buckets of Coronas, Beheadings, Surfing-K38, Falcons, Express-kidnappings and Family security drills... it's a 24/7 Fiesta with roving Mariachi Bands and food carts. Everything but tourists.

Even the LAST CHANCE TO EAT TACOS cart is closed.